Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tache Chocolate Making Class


The Piping Techniques class left my friend and I desiring another creative outlet. Enter the chocolate making class at Tache Artisan Chocolate. We would be learning how to make grignotines and chocolate molds. Upon hearing grignotines, I thought: wow, we must getting every penny's worth in the class. Turns out grignotine is a fancy way of describing a topping laden chocolate disc. We were given plastic baggies containing melted chocolate and were instructed to pipe out shapes onto wax paper. Subsequently we  added toppings. There was a whole assortment of toppings ranging from tea leaves to nuts to various spices. I recall asking myself why I was paying someone to show me how to pipe a chocolate disc and coat it with toppings. Again, a technique I could have come across on YouTube. We then moved on to making chocolate molds. After choosing our respective molds, I went with the wise owl, we coated the bottom with glitter, colored chocolate, then dark chocolate from a giant tempering machine. Yes, we spent an hour and a half and paid someone to "teach" us how to make chocolate discs and fill molds with chocolate from a machine. Wish the wise owl would have told me earlier that I was wasting my time. 

After watching movies like Chocolat and Romantics Anonymous, I thought we would be learning to temper chocolate on a marble slab, learning about the differences in chocolate percentage, and creating exciting truffle flavors. Sigh, what a disappointment. I would only recommend this class to someone looking to have a good time playing with chocolate, i.e., a child. Would consider taking another class if more challenging techniques were to be taught. 





Inside the store.



Painting with chocolate and glitter. 



The finished product, which we got to take home.




No comments:

Post a Comment